19 Sept 17 (draft)

Draft Minutes of a Meeting of Broomfield Parish Council
held on Tuesday 19th September 2017, 7.30 pm, Broomfield Village Hall

Present: Cllr Duncan Henderson (Chairman), Cllr Rebecca MacDonagh, Cllr Paul Trolley, District Cllr Anne Fraser, County Cllr Bill Revans, Peter Hall (Clerk), 4 members of the public.

1) Apologies for absence:
Cllr Jamie Bachelor, Cllr John Ogle

2) Declaration of members’ interests:
None.

3) Public comments on agenda items:
None

4) Approval of Minutes:
The minutes from the meeting on 13th had been previously circulated and were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

5) Matters arising from the Minutes:
• Cllr MacDonagh was continuing to investigate the possibility of holding a community health check event in Broomfield and was awaiting potential dates from the provider.
• The Chairman had heard nothing from Nigel Garnsworthy (National Trust) regarding use of the RLT2 Play Area funds and would give the NT a final deadline to respond. He also agreed to contact Scott Mason at Sedgemoor DC to check whether a play area on one of the commons would be within the criteria.
• The Chairman had invited 121 Turnaround to report on their work on Broomfield Common at this meeting, but they were unavailable. He would invite them to the next meeting. He stated that the licence had been agreed with the AONB Service and he would circulate it to the Council. The Clerk reminded the Council that it would also need to be agreed by Sedgemoor DC.
• The Chairman stated that he had raised the issue of unauthorised use of vehicles on restricted byways with our new PCSO Dan Wheller at the recent cluster meeting. It was reiterated that all incidents should be reported by phone or via the police website and a crime reference number obtained. This guidance may be found on the Broomfield website.
• The Clerk had obtained the forms necessary to change the bank account signatories and these would be signed after the meeting.

6) Highways Maintenance:
Cllr Trolley reported that Somerset Highways had placed an order with their contractor for a day’s free work and he was expecting the work on filling in the ruts in the verges by the end of October. He had met with the contractor and walked the length of the road between Volis Hill and Mullins Pond. The main issue would be carrying out the work without a road closure.

The Chairman thanked Cllr Trolley for his efforts in getting some action on this issue.

7) Access to Broomfield Hill Common:
The Chairman reported that the lock had been removed from the gate by unauthorised persons and the gate found open. It was noted that harvesting was taking place on the fields adjoining the Common and that this was the only way for machinery to access the fields.

It was agreed that Cllrs Henderson and MacDonagh would speak to all those with a right of access across the common to ask for their cooperation in keeping the gate locked. This is to avoid the possibility of flytipping or travellers taking up residence. They would follow this up in writing.

8) West Monkton and Cheddon Fitzpaine Neighbourhood Development Plan:
Cllr Trolley had drafted a response to this consultation emphasising the potential impact on traffic through the parish. It was agreed that the Clerk should submit this.

District Cllr Fraser stated that Somerset CC were examining the whole road infrastructure between Wellington and Bridgwater (A38 corridor) and the Clerk agreed to make similar representations to Strategic Highways at County Hall.

9) SW Cluster meeting:
Cllrs Henderson, MacDonagh and Trolley had attended the SW Cluster meeting at Nether Stowey and were awaiting minutes. There was a concern that the meeting was dominated by the Hinkley Point development.

10) Village Hall:
The Chairman reported that he had attended the meeting of the Village Hall committee, which was concerned about its responsibilities as landlord of the adjoining cottage. Remedial work was required on the electrical installation following recent testing. The community cinema continued to be successful and profitable.

11) Urgent Matters to Report:
The Harvest Supper was to be held on 13th October and 20 tickets had been sold already.

12) Public Forum:
It was reported that the contractor carrying out grass cutting on Broomfield Common was having difficulty accessing the paths due to tree growth. The Chairman agreed to visit the common with the contractor to determine what needed to be done and would report back at the next meeting.

13) Items for Next meeting:
As per actions above, including a presentation by 121 Turnaround.

14) Date of Next Meeting:
Tuesday 21st November 2017

Advertisements