11 April 17

Minutes of a Meeting of Broomfield Parish Council
held on Tuesday 11th April 2017, 7.30 pm, Broomfield Village Hall

Present: Cllr Duncan Henderson (Chairman), Cllr Rebecca MacDonagh, Cllr Paul Trolley, District Cllr Anne Fraser, County Cllr Richard Brown, Peter Hall (Clerk), 1 member of the public.

1) Apologies for absence:
The Chairman reported that Cllr Sharpe had tendered his resignation from the Council due to pressure of work.

2) Co-option of Parish Councillor:
Cllr MacDonagh proposed that Dr. John Ogle be co-opted on to the Council to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Michael Kingscote. This was seconded by Cllr. Trolley and unanimously agreed. Dr. Ogle signed a declaration of acceptance of office and joined the committee.

3) Declaration of members’ interests:
None.

4) Public comments on agenda items:
None

5) Approval of Minutes:
The minutes from the meeting on 22nd November had been previously circulated and were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

6) Matters arising from the Minutes:
• The Chairman confirmed there was a new padlock on the gate to Broomfield Hill Common.
• Cllr MacDonagh was continuing to investigate the possibility of holding a community health check event in Broomfield.

7) Broadband Update:
At a non-quorate meeting on 21st February Mr. Matt Barrow from Connecting Devon & Somerset advised that Gigaclear had been awarded the contract for Phase 2 (95%) of the ultrafast broadband roll-out in the lot containing Broomfield. They will build an entirely new fibre network provided a speed of up to 1Gbit/s to the home. The rollout will be phased between 2017 and 2019 and indicative plans should be available in April 2017. Individuals can check whether their home is in the planned coverage via the Gigaclear website.

The voucher scheme has been paused but will recommence in April for anyone currently receiving less than 2Mbit/s. Use of a voucher for say a 4G solution will not preclude signing up to Gigaclear at a later date.

Mr Barrow agreed to provide more information to the Council as it became available. He also agreed to check what communication individuals should expect to receive from Gigaclear if they register their interest on their website.

The Chairman reported that he had had no further contact with Mr. Barrow since this meeting.

Cllr Trolley stated that Exmoor Technology had installed a 4G solution at his home which had increased his download speed from 0.6 to 30 Mbit/s at a cost of £548 of which £500 had been met by a 2016 voucher. This may provide an interim solution for other residents.
8) Highways Maintenance:
Cllr Trolley reported that Somerset Highways had offered to fund a day’s work filling holes on the verges between Pines Café and Oggshole. However it appeared that the 33.5 tonnes of planings had all been used on the road near Broomfield Hill Common.
He had offered to be present when the work was being carried out but had not been informed of the actual date.

He had taken this up with Lawrence Hackling from Highways but not received a satisfactory explanation. Prices were not yet fixed for 2017/18 and it was unclear whether use of PC funds would represent value for money for the Parish. County Cllr Brown agreed to clarify matters with Highways and in the meantime suggested reported holes via the Travel website. Cllr Trolley agreed to email Mr. Hackling for new prices and ask whether it was possible for piles of planings to be left on the verges so that a PC appointed contractor could spread them.

Cllr Ogle reported that a PCC contractor was repairing a wall at the back of the Church and it may be possible for spare rubble to be used.

9) Spring Clean:
Cllr Trolley reported that 20 sacks of rubbish had been collected on March 5th. District Cllr Fraser felt that this was a success which should be publicised. She agreed to get some feedback from Sedgemoor DC who had collected the rubbish.

10) RLT2 Play Area Funds:
The Chairman stated that he had heard nothing from Nigel Garnsworthy of the National Trust and would contact him for an update.

11) Request to use Broomfield Common:
The Chairman reported that he had received a draft licence agreement from Mr. Harding of 121 Turnaround. It was unclear whether this was a revision of one suggested by Iain Porter of the AONB Service. District Cllr Fraser suggested that the licence should be checked by the SDC Legal team. The Chairman took an action to follow up with Mr. Harding.

12) SDC Local Plan Consultation:
Cllr Trolley reported that he had provided comments on the Plan regarding the need for attention to be given to the need for traffic management in the Parish.

13) Planning Applications:
The following had been received or changed status since the November meeting:
• 10/16/00009 Retrospective planning consent for refurbishment and conversion of farmstead building to residential accommodation – permission granted by SDC
• 10/17/00001 Erection of 2 pay and display machines at Fyne Court – the PC had objected to these on the basis that charging would cause people to park on the verges along The Avenue, however this was not deemed to be a valid objection and permission has been granted by SDC
• 10/17/00004 Erection of building to form garden shed, greenhouse, potting shed and wood store at Watery Bottom – permission granted by SDC.

14) Finance:
• The Clerk reported that he had received a VAT refund for £136.60 from HMRC.
• It was agreed to again appoint Mrs. Lindy Mansfield as internal auditor.
• The following payments were agreed retrospectively:
o E White – Grass cutting on commons £180.00
o P Hall – Website domain registration and mapping £15.00
o Broomfield Village Hall – Hall hire charges £161.00

15) Village Hall:
The Chairman reported that he had attended the recent meeting of the Village Hall committee. It was agreed that he should propose that there should be no hire charges for community events.

16) Sedgemoor DC Proposal for New Cluster Boundaries:
District Cllr Fraser had attended the joint Cluster meeting on 22nd February and no discussion had been allowed. The Chairman stated he had heard nothing from the old Quantock Cluster. The Clerk stated that a meeting of the new SW Cluster was scheduled for 20th June which was the same day as a Broomfield PC meeting. Cllr Fraser agreed to clarify the Cluster arrangements with SDC and the BPC meeting may have to be moved if Councillors wished to attend the Cluster meeting.

17) Annual Parish Meeting:
The Chairman reported that he had invited Claire Pearce from SDC to give a talk on the Hinkley Point Development.

18) Urgent Matters to Report:
The Clerk also reminded members that there was a vacancy for a Councillor to replace Cllr Sharpe, which would likely need to be filled by co-option. He asked that everyone consider potential candidates.

19) Public Forum:
No members of the public were present.

20) Items for Next meeting:
As per actions above.

Advertisements